By Stephanie Hyland, StorageUnit.com
It’s that time of year again! Whether you turned your living room into a mini version of the North Pole or just kept it simple with a few decorations this holiday season, it’s time to pack the decorations up for the year. It’s important to store your Christmas decorations not only efficiently, but also properly, so that they’ll be ready to deck your halls next Christmas. However, putting away holiday decorations of every size and shape can seem like a daunting task to many, especially if you added to your holiday collection this year and you know your closet and attic space are on the brink of overflowing.
The Campaign Against Clutter is dedicated to stopping the formation of holiday clutter inside your home due to space constraints. Finding a self storage unit that fits a Christmas tree, boxes of ornaments, and other holiday memorabilia is an easy problem to solve. Understanding what type of storage unit you need can also help. Let’s get started!
You love Christmas and all of the decorations that come with celebrating this time of the year. However, you noticed when you were unpacking your tree and other holiday decorations that space is getting tight and you bought a few more decorations this year. How are you possibly going to store all of these items in your closet or attic and avoid an ornament avalanche?
You would hate to have to part with any of your Christmas decorations since artificial Christmas trees are usually a monetary investment and everything else holds sentimental value. Since adding square footage to your home may not be an option, what do you do?
The Solution: Invest in a Self Storage Unit
By renting a small self storage unit for your Christmas decorations, you do not have to worry about sacrificing certain items or downscaling to a smaller tree just because you have run out of closet space at home. By renting a storage unit, you can ensure that your holiday decorations are kept in a protected environment and will be ready to be displayed for many years to come. You will also be able to repurpose the closet space that was home to your Christmas decorations into an area that will help you stay organized year-round.
It’s important to know how much holiday decor you’ll be storing to get a better idea of what size unit you’ll need. If you’re storing a tree that’s anywhere from five to ten feet tall, reserving a 5×5 or 5×10 unit will make holiday storage easy. This square footage will give you plenty of room to store a boxed tree, containers full of ornaments, and even outdoor displays or wreaths. You may also want to consider a unit that allows your collection to grow if you find yourself adding to your Christmas decor year after year.
Quick Tips: How to Properly Store Your Christmas Decorations
- If you’re storing decorations made out of wood or glass, it’s important that you reserve a climate-controlled storage unit that stays between 55–85°F year-round. Since glass and wood are temperature-sensitive materials, it’s important to keep these decorations in a controlled environment to avoid the risk of them cracking, breaking, expanding, or warping. Climate control also keeps humidity in your storage unit low to curb the formation of dampness, mildew, or mold among sensitive items, like handmade ornaments.
- Reserving a climate-controlled storage unit can also benefit artificial trees. Even though the trees are made to be durable, it’s important to keep your tree in an area where humidity and moisture are controlled. By leaving the tree in a climate-controlled unit (whether you store it in a box or fully assembled), it will prevent mold and mildew from forming on the branches of your artificial tree.
- If any of your holiday decorations are powered by batteries, remove the batteries before leaving the item in storage. This is especially important to remember if you are not using a climate-controlled unit because if exposed to extreme temperatures, batteries can leak or explode.
- Does the storage facility you’re using provide shelving? If not, you may consider investing in a small shelving unit. This is an important amenity to find out about since keeping your storage unit organized is essential to finding certain items in a timely manner. A small shelf will not only keep your items organized, it will also be a great place to store ornament boxes, wreaths, or other breakable items so they’re not left on the floor of the storage unit where they could easily be bumped, stepped on, or stacked upon.
- When you retrieve your Christmas decorations at the beginning of the holiday season, keep your storage unit as a place to store Christmas gifts until the big day. That way, no one will discover their gifts early and once the season is over, you can return your decorations to the unit.
By reserving a storage unit for your Christmas decorations, you can preserve the precious closet space inside your home without sacrificing some of your favorite seasonal decorations or limiting new additions. A climate-controlled storage unit will ensure that your holiday decor will be properly protected and ready to inspire the Christmas spirit in 2015.